EMLA Cream is an anesthetic cream that can be placed on the skin to relieve pain. It is generally used to numb an area before placing an intravenous line, giving injections or drawing blood.
When Do I Use EMLA Cream and How Long Does It Last?
EMLA Cream must be applied at least 1 hour before a spine stick and longer before the painful process. This cream will start to numb the site within 10-12 minutes after its application, however, it will take at least an hour to relieve pain. After it has been applied, the greatest pain relief is observed 2-3 hours. A protective cover helps keep the cream in place, but it is not necessary. The EMLA Cream is removed before the procedure.
After the cream is removed, the numbness or pain relief will last for 1-2 hours. Be careful not to put the cream on your hands. If you do, wash them immediately to make sure your hands do not go numb. See more!
How Do I Apply It?
EMLA cream should be applied to normal skin and do not apply in open areas or irritated skin., It is better to have the help of two people for young children. One applies the EMLA cream, another person holds the child.
When EMLA Cream is used before a blood draw or intravenous placement
- Cover the back of both hands and the inside of both elbows for intravenous placement.
- For drawing blood, cover the inside of both elbows.
- Then, try to find large blue veins on the backs of the hands and also inside the elbows.
- Cover the larger blue veins with a large tablespoon of EMLA cream. Babies and young children will require less cream than older children.
When used it before injection into the muscle or skin.
- Cover the site with a large spoonful of EMLA cream. Spread a thick layer on the surface of the skin; don’t rub it.
- Take a transparent dressing and apply on EMLA cream so that it is entirely covered.
- Smooth the edges of the dressing to prevent leaks.
- For people who do not like transparent dressings or who are sensitive to them, you can smooth a piece of plastic over the EMLA cream and secure it in place with first-aid tape. Be sure to stick it well to avoid leaks.
Making Childhood Vaccinations without Stress
Childhood immunizations can be traumatic for both the baby and the mother. In spite of your best efforts to calm down, and the doctor being as quick as possible, even the bravest children can get disturbed, resulting in a traumatic experience. Happily, EMLA Cream is a proven and tested way to numb the pain of the needles. Therefore, you should not worry about your child’s next vaccine. Check out this site: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2000/19941s11lbl.pdf
Blood Donation and Tests
Only 1.6 million (Of the more than 60 million people living in the United Kingdom) actually donate blood every year. The National Blood Service is always seeking new donors to replenish their blood stores, but fear of needle process can discourage some people. The anesthetic effects of EMLA Cream can help calm the body and mind before a blood donation and help make sure that the formula is free from anxiety.
Travel vaccines may not be the most exhilarating part of your vacation planning, but they are one of the most significant. It is very common to postpone travel vaccines, especially for tourists with needle phobia. So, use EMLA Cream before a travel vaccine to help dispel any fear of the formula.